DIY Back to School Chalkboard

Good morning loves. I don't know about you but the back to school buzz is strong over here in our house. We have two weeks till the kids are off to school.  It's crazy but, all three kids start on different days of the week. I guess that's what happens when you have a kid in High School, JR High and Kindergartner. Yea, that little one he keeps us young.

I have forgotten what it's like to have a little one in school. It's been years since I've even had to walk one to school. It's going to be a huge adjustment that's for sure. It's true, I'm excited to have them all in school, to finally get some "me" time. However, my heart breaks a little every time I think of my baby boy growing up. It seems once they start, it just starts to fly by. Miss Fay only has 3 years left, THREE! *tears

I have always taken a first day of school photo, I mean who doesn't? Back in the day... there was no Pinterest no great ideas, no "ohhh, I need to do that." Nope, just a picture and a smile for the big kids, on their first day.

Oh, but times, they are a changin'. My little guy is going back to school in style. With a huge chalk board to highlight this special day!


Being the incredibly nice girl that I am, I'm going to show you step by step how you can do it too. Your gonna want to grab a few things before we get started.

SUPPLIES FOR THIS PROJECT

1. A Poster Frame
2. Chalk Paint
3. Assorted Paint Brushes
4. Sand Paper
5. A Chalk Marker 
6. Pencil with a good eraser (trust me)
7. A T Square, Ruler, or another straight edge
8. Stencils (the more the better)
9. Craft Paints (this is up to up to you, if you want color the choices are unlimited)

Why a poster frame: They are affordable, and they are super light weight. You wouldn't want your little one trying to hold up a super heavy frame or a painted mirror. You can of course substitute this item for something else, I just think a poster frame is a great option. I got a 20x30 that I found a Goodwill for .99 cents, BOOM! Of course they come in bigger and smaller sizes, so you can pick according to your preference.

The first thing you want to do is paint your frame. Paint the top plastic piece. I did maybe 3-4 coats. Sand using a light sand paper in between coats, to reduce brush marks.


Keep the cardboard back you will need this to reassemble the frame.


I did spray paint the plastic outer frame pieces, this is completely optional. 

While your waiting for you paint to dry, grab some scratch paper and sketch out your design. This does not have to be anything fancy. Just a general idea of what and where you want your sections to be.

Once your "chalkboard" is dry it's time to get creative. The first thing I did was section my board out. This helps keep everything even and in it's place. I stared at the top with his name and worked my way down. This is where my stencils came in. 

Note: the stencils are totally optional as well. If your awesome at hand lettering then you really don't need them. I however, needed these stencils!


The only thing hand lettered on this sign is the word kindergarten, and the big 5. Every other thing was made with the stencils. All of these stencils were purchased at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby.

Once you have everything sketched out it's time to outline with the chalk marker. I'm sure you could use a paint pen, or paint in general. However I like the chalk marker, in case I make a mistake, it's easily fixable. I outlined everything first and then went back later to fill in the color. 

Note: Do I thin coat of paint, this give more of a chalk look when the black shows through slightly.

Note: Once you paint you can go back over with the chalk marker again to clean up your lines. I did this multiple times.



Borders. You can do a solid line, a dashed or even a dotted line. The choice is yours and the options are unlimited.  I used my ruler so my dots were even. Every 1/2 inch. Don't worry about your pencil lines. You can easily erase them or leave them, either way they wont be noticeable.

The possibilities of this project are endless. I've seen them for birthdays, school, weddings. Just let your creativity take over and your final result will be amazing!


Pinterest has tons of inspiration, for chalk boards. I'm positive that anyone can pull this off. So are you ready to make your own? Go do it! Send me your pictures of your finished project I would love to see your results!

Until then,
xoxo

Linking too: INSPIRATION MONDAYSUNDAYS AT HOME SUNDAYS BEST  CRAFT SCHOOLING SUNDAY  LINK PARTY PALOOZA  NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY  DIY SUNDAY SHOWCASE  BEWITCHIN PROJECTS  HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT  THE BOUQUET OF TALENT  CELEBRATE IT SUNDAY  SHOW AND TELL HAPPINESS IS HOMEMADE  SATURDAY SPARKS  THE CREATIVE EXCHANGE  SUPER SATURDAYS  DIY INSPIRED  ANTI-PROCRASTINATION TUESDAY BEST DIY PROJECTS  WORTHWHILE WEDNESDAY  WILDLY ORIGINAL  WORK IT WEDNESDAY MARVELOUS MONDAY MOTIVATION MONDAY FRUGAL CRAFTY BLOG HOP  MERRY MONDAY LINK PARTY  STH LINK PARTY  BEST OF THE WEEKEND  BLOGGERS BRAGS  SHOW AND TELL  TURN IT UP TUESDAY  CREATIVE COLLECTION SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT BRAG ABOUT IT MONDAY  INSPIRE ME MONDAY  HANDMADE TUESDAY SHOW AND SHARE  TOO CUTE TUESDAY  CREATE LINK INSPIRE  WICKED AWESOME WEDNESDAY  FROM DREAM TO REALITY   CREATIVE SPARK  SHARE YOUR CUP  IDEA BOX  FAVORITE THINGS BLOG HOP  THANK GOODNESS IT'S THURSDAY  FRUGAL FRIDAYS  FLAUNT IT FRIDAY  KITCHEN FUN AND CRAFTY FRIDAY  CREATIVITY UNLEASHED  ULTIMATE PINTEREST PARTY  FLAUNT IT FRIDAY

23 comments

  1. This is fabulous, really well done! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling sunday, and great to "meet" you! Hope you'll share again next week, and since you are new, do feel free to share several projects, including some of your best from the past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you so much for stopping by! I will definitely be back, your party is great!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this idea as I do not own a vinyl cutter and would have to paint the lettering too. BTW, I understand the struggle with hand lettering, although yours came out fantastic! I have ruined too many projects to have the guts to even attempt it. I will be trying of this soon. I have 3 going to school and will need something that I can wipe and reuse. Thank you for sharing this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I envy those with the vinyl cutters! Stencils are the only way to go for me! Thank for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Alright this is ADORABLE!!! I want to do this for myself and I'm in college, LOL! I'm glad that I found your blog on the Marvelous Monday Link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your too sweet! I say go for it lol, I'm totally gonna hang it in his room after his first day! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Wow - you are going to be busy heading in 3 different directions!

    Love this chalkboard....it looks awesome and how exciting for the kids :-)

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, these kids keep me on my toes that's for sure! Thanks a bunch for stopping by to check it out!

      Delete
  5. Love this idea so much, I am going to have to do something like this for my little guy who starts kindergarten this fall. Thanks for sharing. found you on #turnittuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I'd love to see it when your finished!

      Delete
  6. Michelle, this is so creative! I love the different stencils you used and how you gave such great tips too. You're a rock star at getting everything so straight. Love love love! Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco, You sure know how to make a girls day!

      Delete
  7. This is fantastic! The different stencils and colors really make the board pop. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the way it turned out! He's pretty excited about it too, a total plus!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a neat idea! Thanks for linking up to the Blogger Brags pinterest party. I have pinned your post to the Blogger Brags pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! I like the use of stencils in different sizes. Thanks for sharing at Friday Favorites! Michelle OurCraftyMom

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Love the lettering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to take the first day photos!

      Delete
  12. This may be a silly question. Do the Chalkboard pens rub off? I am hoping to making one of these but with the categories set so each year I just have to fill them in and not redo the whole thing. Would a paint pen be better in that case? Will paint pens work on Chalkboard paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chalk pens yes, they will rub off. I only used the white chalk pen, the other colors were paint, so those wont come off. I'm pretty sure though you can buy colored chalk markers. I got the white one at Hobby Lobby. If you use paint pens its probably not gonna come off. Hope that helps a little.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *