Laundry room cabinets

Hello loves. Today I am coming at you with a huge problem this house faces everyday.  It's the wire shelves. As big as the closets are in every room they are a jumbled mess. These particular wire shelves are just that.  They don't have a nice bar for hanging, you can't slide your clothes from one side to another. They just suck!  This room is no exception! I am on a mission to rid (or upgrade) these wire shelves I find lurking in every closet!

See isn't this so much better?


However, today I'm going to show you how I tore down the wire shelf in our laundry room, and replaced it with two re-purposed cabinets.



Here my friends is the before:


Not bad, a plain white box with a pretty awful wire shelf. However, it was in desperate need of some better storage and organization.

This whole project started when I found two pretty cheap cabinets at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I was excited they were only 12 bucks each! Seriously, I love the ReStore for things like cabinets.  I primed and painted my re-purposed cabinets and had the hubby help me install them, after I filled and sanded and textured over where the gaping holes of the wire shelf brackets once sat.  Seriously people, not trying to scare you but be prepared to fill some pretty big holes when you take a wire shelf down. Once all that was done I painted the walls.  I primed and painted my re-purposed cabinets and had the hubby help me install them.


I almost forgot to mention that I added bead board panels on the sides because they had a laminate glued to each side and I needed something to cover it up!

Here is the hubby helping install the cabinets. We used a chalk line across the whole wall to be certain that the cabinets were the same height.


Once the cabinets were in place I measured the space in between. I cut a few cleats to size for the top shelf and worked my way down. I framed the from out with another board, so they look real chunky. What can I say, I like chunky!  Please don't be Impatient Alice like myself. Take the time to stain everything before you put it in. Trust me it takes way longer to tape and touch up after the fact.


This whole project only cost about $65.00. I do want to point out that I had all of things like stain, paint and supplies on hand. The cost is strictly cabinets and lumber.

I know at this point your probably thinking where will she hang anything now?  Oh, don't you worry your pretty little head. I got this.

Maybe?

I'll update you as I go along but these little cabinets will show their full reveal when the laundry room is completely finished!

Until then,
xoxo

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *