The Thrifted Bed

Good morning lovely people, today I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Okay so not totally a secret, but none the less a little fast fact about me. There is not a bed in this house that I haven't touched, painted built or recovered. Yes, that's a true story. Sure I'd love to be able to go out and but four different bedroom sets, beautiful finished bedroom sets. However, we move every 2.7 years and craps expensive. Have you ever had things moved over 1700 miles sometimes across the pacific ocean? Yea, thing get destroyed on a regular basis. I'd rather a $45 bed get destroyed. Than say a $1,000 set. You feel me?

So yes, this bed, solid wood bed I might add cost me a measly $45 bucks. Can you believe it? I was just browsing my local Habitat For Humanity ReStore and came across this bad boy. No sticker no price. I wasn't exactly looking for a bed but, mine was old and funky particle board. I told myself if it was less than $100 I would buy it. So imagine my surprise when the guys said $45. Sold! Yea, I actually said that in fact I may have screamed that. Almost like I was some crazy auctioneer.


So yea, I don't know about you but this ugly honey oak does nothing for me. Nothing I despise this color. I know the whole farmhouse country is hot, but this honey oak is not! Oh and the little fishesque design is pretty bad too. So I used some bead board (which I also snagged at the ReStore) and covered those little swimmers up! And, after sanding... hours and hours of sanding I was left with this little naked beauty.




Gorgeous right? Well this bad boy wanted nothing at all to do with regular stain. Nothing I tell you. What's a girl to do? I have mentioned a few times how much I use Poly Shades from Minwax. It really covers anything. So I went out again and picked up a big old can of Espresso colored Poly shade and went to town. I am so super excited how it all turned out.

The color turned out perfectly. It matched our existing dresser and night stand to a tee! I as pretty stoked to finally have a headboard AND foot board. It's like a real boy no no bed. It's most definitely a bed.

I've actually got another bed sitting in the garage waiting for me to do something pretty to, for the girl. Hopefully I get to it before we actually move!
Until then,
xoxo
linking to these lovely parties: NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY DIY SUNDAY SHOWCASE BEWITCHIN PROJECTS THE BOUQUET OF TALENT CELEBRATE IT SUNDAY HAPPINESS IS HOMEMADE SUNDAYS AT HOME SHARE YOUR CREATIVITY SUNDAYS DOWN UNDER SHOW AND TELL BLOGGERS BRAGS CREATIVE COLLECTION SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT MUCH ADO ABOUT MONDAY BRAG ABOUT IT MONDAY MOTIVATION MONDAY FRUGAL CRAFTY BLOG HOP MERRY MONDAY LINK PARTY INSPIRATION MONDAY HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT HANDMADE TUESDAY SHOW AND SHARE  TOO CUTE TUESDAY CREATE LINK INSPIRE  WORTHWHILE WEDNESDAY WILDLY ORIGINAL FROM DREAM TO REALITY  

4 comments

  1. Amazing! What a great look and I love how you covered the scroll work. Thanks for sharing over at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a beast but so worth it in the end! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Wow , just wow. It looks modern and very cool! A real thrift find!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is one of the best deals I think I have ever found! Have a great rest of the weekend!day!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *